Sunday, April 26, 2009

Six Organs of Admittance


One of my favorite bands of the past few years is Comets on Fire. They are totally sick, but this post is (mostly) not about them. It's about Six Organs of Admittance, and the reason I even mention Comets on fire is that Ben Chasny is in Comets on Fire. Ben Chasny is the main guy (only guy?) from Six Organs of Admittance The super intense psych rock explosion of Comets on Fire inspired me to seek out Six Organs. What I found was decidedly mellower mostly acoustic guitar based folk with beautiful songs. The electric bits are atmospheric and not overpowering. It's so good. The one I'm listening to right now is from 2005, and it's called School of the Flower. It's really hard to choose a sample track. Here's one called Home:



In case you don't know Comets On Fire, you should totally check them out, too. Again, it's hard to choose a sample tune. Do I choose one of the more melodic ones, or do I go with a balls in your face number? This one is the first track from Avatar which was their last record. It's balls in your face, but it's kind of melodic. It is called Dogwood Rust:

3 comments:

DC said...

I've got "the honey bee and the cracked egg" (?) or something like that and it fucking rocks from teh first note balls out the whole way through, it's dope.

Gabino said...

Didn't know that six Organs guy was in Comets on Fire, who I love, will have to look into.

Blue Cathedral is the jam. Field Recordings was a wee too crazed for me and Avatar was a wee to straight. I think Comets on Fire are no more. That main guy is doing Howlin' Rain now, which is just ok.

rootless said...

I checked this out, very cool, thanks, want the album.