Friday, September 12, 2008

Desert Rock for Fortson!

These are probably from 1991-92? The audio is a little weak. Ator and Don may be in the crowd of one of these. One of the Kyuss dudes is Queens of the Stone Age. Unsound was more of a punk/hardcore band that went in more of a rock direction later on. This was it in the desert; a keg, lights, rock music, dirt and a mess load o' kids. The challenge was always to play your set before the cops showed up. There used to be a vhs tape of a band I was in with DC floating around, who knows maybe it will show up too!


4 comments:

DC said...

Damn, those were the days. Is that Brian Hood in the front?

It's funny to see this now that Josh Homme is like cover of Rolling Stone-level rock star.

I'll never forget my fist desert party. Like maybe 2 months after we moved to California I went to a party at Serge's Ranch, and there were like... 5,000 people? Not sure if that is an exaggeration, but there were people as far as you could see. And ZAO was rocking out to King of BC and everyone was going ape shit. I was like "we are not in Kansas (or my case, Chicago) anymore..."

JKP said...

totally apropos to find this on here because today i heard my first kyuss album and i fucken love it. dunno how i missed it before, and don't know squat about the desert thing-scene, but the record's great.

Jeff Fortson said...

It's so funny these got posted here. I just found these like a week ago myself. In the Kyuss video I think I see Kevin Janick and Brad Chuck. Maybe Brian Hood too.

As for Unsound, they might have been my favorite band from the desert. Justin's Zao and Inc. Cause are up there too.

Serge's ranch was insane that night Don. I remember picking you up for that party. Zao had a pit going that looked like a huge whirlpool of mass humanity. There were probably only a couple hundred kids at the show but it felt like thousands. That was the OG Coachella Fest.

Late.

Jeff

blablazo said...

Ha! I have an Unsound sticker on my bass. I've never heard them before. Thanks!