Monday, September 15, 2008

Pulling from the stacks...

Here's some stuff that gets a lot of play in my house that you can't find on iTunes. All this stuff is good for the weekday night after 10:00 PM time slot... that's such a key time slot to have music for:



I know exactly 0% about this record. I think I got this for $.50 at a flea market, or actually I think this was in a batch of records I got one time when I bought 1,200 records for $750 bucks. Hahaha, that was bananas. It literally filled my Jeep Grand Cherokee to maximum capacity, with LPs on my lap, in the kid car seat, etc... But this is just good classical guitar, great for after 10:00 PM time slot.



I got this one for $1.00 at a Thrift Shop in the strip mall by Hobby Lobby in Palatine, IL when I was back visiting my Moms. Some Christian folk music. The cover is bomb, but the music is just a chorus of 15 people and an acoustic guitar playing Christian jams. It's kind of soothing. Robin's not into it, not because she's Jewish, but just because she's not into the music. I don't know, guess I like the cover more than the music but I listen to it.



This is one of my fave records. "Redeye" is like a poor man's Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. They have the harmonies and the same lead guitar tone. For some reason it is really endearing and I jam out to this all the time. A little too rocking for after 10:00, I guess. I like the songs (which have vocals and lyrics, mind you), and it has open basslines and little drum breaks that I looped. This is rad. I actually digitized this one, so if I ever sent it to you give 'er another listen.



I don't know anything about this one. Same thing, $1.00 record or else I think this was in the 1,200 LP blow out as well. Everything on the cover is in French, so I'm not even sure of the name. Actually, I Googled it once, I think the band is "Harmonium" and this is their second recording, but I left it at that because I like it better as a mystery LP then knowing everything about it. You guys know anything about "Harmonium'? It's cool atmospheric 70's prog-ish rock with french lyrics. A lot of parts sound like they are DJ Shadow samples. There is one, maybe 2 wack-ass jams, but the rest is quality from start to finish, except where it skips on first song on side B.

What's good for the after 10:00 on a weeknight time slot? Holla at me on the comments.

6 comments:

rootless said...

I can't believe you posted about that record and didn't even mention The New Life, 675 Main Street edition, that shit gave me the New Life blues, DC.......

blablazo said...

It's a bit after 10:00pm here and I'm listening to Mutiny on the Bay - a live Dead Kennedys comp.

blablazo said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
blablazo said...

oh...and Hobby Lobby in Palatine. I was there about a month ago getting something framed...hahaha. There's a record store in that same strip mall!!??

There used to be one close to there called Rainbow Records - right across the street from the infamous Brown's Chicken. Now they moved to a place on Northwest Highway in Barrington. Last time I was there I bought a nice copy of Bobby Weir's "Ace" for $2.50 or something. I nice find for me.

Jim Turbert said...

Now i want to hear Harmonium.

T.J. said...

"atmospheric 70's prog-ish rock with french lyrics"

Yes please.