Friday, September 5, 2008

Ian Mackaye



First off, let me just say it warms my cockles that everyone is posting on this blog. It is so interesting seeing the random different people connecting. I'm the only one with the big picture... it's cool to see my friend from high school in California reacting to a post by my cousin's husband in Indiana over some obscure band they are both connected to.

Anywho, I came across this picture of Ian Mackaye googling Minor Threat (that's how I came across that Beastie Boys video) and wanted to blog about it. This isn't the Fugazi post, I'm saving that. That may be a 1000 word opus with in-depth analysis of every album in order with footnotes of what was going on in my life. That will be my thesis statement. Hahaha, I once traded emails with Joe Lally, bassist of Fugazi (he sells live CD's through their website), and I actually said "I want to thank you because your music has contributed to my development as a human being". He was probably like "OH-kaaayyeeee"...

And I can't go into Ian Mackaye the man either. I mean, what can you say? There is no human being on the planet who has more integrity than Ian Mackaye, straight up. What a cool guy.

Have you checked out The Evens? Excellent excellent band and excellent live show, highly recommend to anyone, fan or not.

No, I didn't want to blog about any of that shit, I'm just rambling. What I wanted to comment on is that I look at this picture of Minor Threat-era Ian... who's got to be 17-ish? And the feeling I get isn't so much "I want to be him" or any allegiance to that 17 year old, but rather feeling like "God, I hope my kid is like that at 17."

I turn 34 in 10 days, and there will be the exact same age difference between me and a 17 year old Ian as my 5 month old and a 17 year old Ian. Benny? Forget it, he's 3 years closer to Minor Threat Ian than I am. Every year they get closer to Minor Threat Ian and I get farther away. I'm getting these guys going on bass and drums ASAP.

That's it. Search for "Minor Threat" or "Fugazi" on YouTube... hours of entertainment.

Stay up, playazzzzzz.

dc

p.s. I stil want to call him Ian "Mick-kay", even though it is Ian "Mick Kai".

No comments: