Friday, September 26, 2008

Nigeria '70

I've been listening to this comp called "Nigeria '70."  The whole thing is pretty  funky, but some is jazzy, some is acid-y, and some is just weird.  Fela Kuti is on there, but I'm not an African music scholar, so I've never heard of most of the guys on the record.   
Check out this oddly appealing synth jam.  It's called Better Change Your Mind by William Onyeabor.  Shit is dope.

Boomp3.com

On the other end of the spectrum I offer you Allah Wakbarr by Ofo The Black Company.  This is REALLY DOPE.  All the guitar tones on this one make me want to reevaluate my life.  

3 comments:

T.J. said...

That Ofo track - REALLY DOPE, indeed!

I'm not a scholar by any means, either, but I do love Fela. Dude is pure musical genius. So... I'll definitely be checking this out a lil closer... Thanks.

DC said...

dopeness

JKP said...

this is a brilliant set...there are a couple of others that dig a bit deeper if you like esp the multibox set Africa 100, and if you're throwing a club thing together there is the magnificent African Disco: Deep Disco From 1970'S Africa