Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Boris - Smile

i've been listening to these guys for the past few years, and i've seen them twice in the past year or so.  sometimes the vocals can be a bit flat, and the quality of the singer's voice is not their strong suit.  that is not why i listen to them.  whether playing pretty epic jams or blistery speedy metal attacks, these three japanese people kick ass.  lately they've been playing with michio kurihara from ghost as a second guitarist, but i'm not sure how much he has to do with their recording and writing process (except on rainbow which was released as boris with michio kurihara).  i can tell you that he adds a lot to the live performance.  maybe he has joined the band as a full time member.  i'm bot sure, and i didn't look for the answer on-line.  if you go see them bring some ear plugs, and an extra pair of underwear.

there are american versions and japanese versions of most of their releases, and they are often released only on very expensive (and fancy) vinyl.  the track listing on the american vs. the japanese versions of smile have some similar elements, but there are both different versions of songs and entirely different songs on both of them.  smile was released earlier this year on southern lord.  

if you aren't cool with me posting a track or two from time to time, let me know.  the below track is called Dead Destination on the japanese version, and  Ka Re Ha Te Ta Sa Ki (No Ones Grieve) on the american one.  




4 comments:

DC said...

Holy shred fest.

How does Odeo work? That's key to WWALT blog v 2.0...

Jim Turbert said...

I found some code on the www. Make sure you paste it inside the end tags , and have a repository for the original file. I made a folder on my website, and I plan on uploading files there. Odeo references those files. There must be some kind of script out there which will upload the file to blogger the way it does with image and movie files. I'll let you know if I find it. i suppose you could just upload an mp3 converted to a quicktime movie (without video), but then it would be super obvious and easy to download the tracks directly from the blog itself. I get the impression that is not what at least some of y'all want. This method is not perfect, but most pople will not be able to figure out how to download the actual file - but that is possible if you know where to look.

Here's the link that I got the code from >>> http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/07/embed-mp3-files-into-your-website.html

There are probably easier ways to do this, but this works, and I think the controller is swell even if it is a bit labor intensive.

you guys should give it a try. i'd like to sample some of your sweet jams.

DC said...

Sorry to say this is over my head. Wish I wasn't such a retar with shit like this because I would love to post tracks. Guess I can always just put it on YouTube with a funny picture...

stella said...

very nice noise
very nic pink playa